Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dare to be confident in yourself

This is the continuation of yesterday's post. Remember how yesterday I was saying that I wasn't sure that I was good enough for my job? Well today it's completely different. I have got some tasks which prove that my manager is actually trusting me with much more than I myself think I am capable of. Well, I should put it a little differently - I know that I am capable to do a lot, but I am just scared to take such kind of responsibility. But isn't fear a good thing? It means that you are getting out of your comfort zone, and when you do that you evolve, you learn, you become better.
The thing is that I was brought up in an old-fashioned way, where I was taught that you should not interupt adults, that they know better - and therefore I was not taught to say my own opinion, I was kind of always relying on the adults. And I am also the youngest sister in my family, so I was always taken care of. I don't want you to think that I can not take care of mysef or make my own decisions. No, absolutely not. I have been living on my own since I was 21 years old (that's shen I went abroad for a year). But I was always afraid to speak up, I preferred to stay in the shadow. But my manager is teaching me a lot, she always asks for my opinion. I also learn from our architect that it is perfectly ok to have a negative opinion of something and to say, not try to be always nice to everyone. If you are being nice when you dn't feel that way - aren't you lying to youself and others then? So I am so greatful for my job and my colleagues who teach me so many valuable lessons, and one of them (which is also the advice of the day) is: dare to be confident in yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment