Monday, September 10, 2012

Create courage

“You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.“ – Christopher Columbus

This New Year's Eve at 12 am I was standing on the beach in Ventura, CA. The night was very foggy and dark. As we were driving to the beach we could barely see the road. I was barefoot and was walking along the waves. The wind was quite strong and as the waves were coming close to me, I was running away from them. But then I thought to myself: "Why? Why am I doing this? I want to feel the ocean and I keep running aways the second it tries to get closer?"
And that's what very often happens in our lives. We dream about something, really want to achieve something, but then when we feel that we only need to make one more step away from it - we get scared, we run away. We think that we are not quite ready at the moment, or that it is not the right time, or we postpone it for tomorrow. And the only reason for that is the fear of getting out of your comfort zone. For example you dream of finding the job you love. You think about it all the time, you visiulize it in your mind - and you feel very comfortable doing that sitting at home with a cup of tea and having a good-enough job that pays good-enough money. You are safe, you don't have to worry about anything, you recieve your salary regularly. But what happens once you are offered a postion in the company of your dreams. But let's say it is a starting position and it pays a little less. But you know that it is exactly what you want and what you will love doing. WHat will you do in this situation? When I try to apply this situation to myself, I think that the previous me would have chosen the comfort of the known, would have stayed at the same job even though it was not exactly what I liked. And that's exactly what has happened to me. I have been going to a job for about a year without feeling anyhow inspired to do so. I didn't have any immediate opportunities when I finally quit the job, but they showed up as soon as I was free and ready for them.
So the advice of the day is: create courage, courage to accept the opportunities as they come into your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment