Friday, September 14, 2012

Create opportunities

My laptop broke yesterday. I was watching (well, actually listening to) a video, when it just turned off and never turned on again. Since yesterday was quite an emotional day at work, this surely upset me a lot. But I didn't stay upset too long because I looked at it as an opportunity to express gratitude for several things. First of all, I am lucky to have my sister around, so I can use her laptop unitl I figure out what to do with mine. I am also lucky because now I will get the opportunity to buy a better laptop which will be useful for my studies. The third thing I am grateful for is that even though I don't have money right now, but I can buy the replacement within a month. And last but not least I am thankful that now I have the perfect excuse to leave the laptop at home when I go on vacation next week. So instead of getting disappointed I've decided to look at the opportunities that this situation is offering me. And I am absolutely positive that the same thing can be done in almost any kind of situations. Choose to focus on the possibilities, instead of the negatives. I know that sometimes it can be hard, and in this cases I usually let myself cry and whine and complain about stuff, but I set a time limit for that. As a rule, I give myself one day, I buy chocolate cake, eat as much as I want, turn on a  very sad movie and cry and think of all the problems and how bad I feel (if I want to). And the next day I start to look at the bright side, to search for the opportunities. And you know what? I have noticed that now that I let myself relax and go negative, I actually want to do it less and less often.
So the advice of the day is: create opportunities out of every situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment