Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Love and show up on time

This is the continuation of the topic on respect. Showing up on time is another way to express your respect. I used to be late all the time. I blamed it on my genetics - my Mom is late all the time (she once even missed her train, when she was going to my sister's wedding), so I used to say "don't blame it on me, blame it on my genes". But this spring I decided to change this habit. I was job-hunting and went to 33 interviews within 3 weeks. Everything was fine, I was coming almost always on time. If I realized that I would be late, I always called the company and let them know. But there was this one time, when I came for the interview perfectly on time, and then I had to wait for about half an hour for my interviewer to come out to me. And that's when it hit me: "it is sooo impolite and unrespectful to make people wait!" And hat's when it all changed. It's been 4 months since that interview, and I should admit that I did come late for meetings with friends a couple of times, but believe me now it happens much much much less often than it used to. And I try to reduce the number of my late comings to zero. Because time is precious and we shouldn't waste it waiting for some other people. If you understand that you wll be even a little bit late, please give a call to that waiting person. We do have the luxury nowadays to reach a person almost wherever he is. A bit more than 10 years ago people didn't have cell phones (at least here in Russia), can you imagine how much time was wasted because of such people as I used to be, the latecomers? Please respect other people and thier time!
So the advice of the day is:

No comments:

Post a Comment